Lake Norman Island Keepers
ISLAND KEEPER PROCEDURES
The following Procedures and Guidelines should be noted and followed when removing litter from an island. If questions arise, please contact the Island Keeper Coordinator for clarification.
1. Litter is defined as garbage, rubbish, trash, refuse, can, bottle, box, container, wrapper, paper product or discarded material in any form resulting from domestic, industrial, commercial or agricultural operation.
2. Disposal of litter will be the responsibility of each Island Keeper. The necessary garbage bags or containers needed to collect and dispose of the litter will be the Island Keeper’s responsibility. Good Recycling Practices Are Encouraged.
3. Button bushes and other protected aquatic plants are to be protected and left undisturbed. In addition all natural growth and habitat should be left in place, with natural defined as all plants, grasses, trees, underbrush and dead wood.
4. Structures such as old piers, floats or other large items that are on the island should be reported to the Coordinator in order that removal can be arranged.
5. Any Violations you note should be reported to the proper authorities. Please do not confront anyone on your own.
It would be appreciated if the number of garbage bags collected each month is reported to the Coordinator along with the size of the bags and any other information of note. This data will be collected from all the Island Keepers and reported to the Marine Commission.
Work Detail Strategies for Assigned Island Keepers
Incorporate good recycling practices , when
Fishing line and plastic bags are detrimental to wildlife and water fowl.
Cups, cans, and containers hold standing water which harbor mosquito larvae.
Wire, rope and string tied around trees and limbs are injurious.
ALL NATURAL GROWTH AND HABITAT IS TO BE LEFT IN PLACE
Remember, we will want to log our dates of pick-up, and keep our tally of bags current. (A small pocket calendar is useful for this)
These measures will add creditability to our efforts, and allow our data to be used in state counts.
Hosted and maintained by
For technical questions e-mail email@example.com